Thursday, March 31, 2011

 

Meet Henry



"The Family O'Blevins" would like to welcome little Henry Gordon Blevins into our family! Although it took him a little longer than expected, Henry is well worth the wait.

The Birth: I wish I could tout tales of water breaking, counting contractions, or even a thrilling saga of labor in stop-and-go traffic. But such was not Henry's case. It actually began 2 1/2 years ago with his big sister Chloe's birth. You see, Chloe's pregnancy was a little more stressful than Henry's, and it all came to a head with major gushes of blood and an emergency c-section. In a subsequent pregnancy with a uterine scar, I had two options for delivery: spontaneous labor with a hope for a VBAC (vaginal birth after c-section) or a repeat c-section.

(Enter my ninth month of pregnancy...) I had high hopes of going into labor spontaneously. Ethan and I had dutifully attended all of our Prepared Childbirth classes. We'd even missed the Broadway production of The Lion King to learn about coping with labor pains. At week 39, my wonderful sister Andra flew in for Henry's vaginal arrival. We began working pressure points, and I was diligent about bouncing on my labor ball. We prayed.



My mother flew in on my due date, March 5th, and still no baby. I continued bouncing and pressure-pointing. We prayed harder. I tried almost everything that had ever been rumored to kick things into gear. We feasted on Eggplant Parmigiana. I walked vigorously. I squatted. And at the recommendation of the fabric cutters at JoAnn's, I ate KFC. Besides stomach cramps and some nausea, even KFC failed me.

March 8th was my scheduled c-section, but my wonderful doc said I could give it another week. So we all redoubled our efforts, pressure-pointing, eating, walking, bouncing, stretching, etc. On March 12th, my sister left. No labor, no baby, nutt'n. But later that night Ethan's mother, Martha, flew in. We were hoping this baby might just be waiting for his grandma before he made his debut.

March 15th was the re-scheduled scheduled c-section. And again my doc said I could wait. I admit, by this point I was discouraged. It seemed like Henry had set up camp and planned on making my body a permanent residence. But I decided I would be okay with whatever happened.



March 18th: Sweet, supportive Martha was dropped off at the airport at 5:30am for her 7:00 flight and Ethan, my mother, and I drove to the hospital for my scheduled c-section. I still clung to the idea of maybe being dilated enough to strip my membranes, but no such luck. We had resolved, though, that we would give my body every chance to do a VBAC and if it didn't happen, Heavenly Father must have had a different plan, and we would trust that.



So at 42 weeks, Henry was delivered at 8:40 am on March 18th via c section. He was 19 1/2 inches long and 8 pounds 1 oz, measuring the same length as his big sis (but almost 3 pounds heavier).

The Name: Henry Gordon Blevins. Henry was one of about 10 names we had on our list, but when we saw him we knew that no other name would do. Gordon, a family name on my side, was cut from the list as soon as I had first suggested it by Ethan's veto power. But when we put the names together after he was born... voila! It might sound a little old man-ish, but he's a very mature 17 day old.



The Boy: Henry loves long floats in amniotic fluid, drinking warm milk, taking milk-induced naps, snuggling with his mamma, peeing on his dad, and being a generally cute little fella. He has made it clear that he does NOT like baths, diaper changes, and hunger. His favorite facial expression is a serious furrowed brow with intermixed fleeting smiles. But his bewildered face always makes me smile.



We're so so grateful to have him here and home with us! Thank you to all for your support, prayers, and service! Henry is the perfect addition to our growing family and we feel honored to be his parents. He's looking forward to meeting all of you!

Comments:
beautiful!! in every way!!
My theory... Chloe was giving him all the highlights and love he needed to prepare to come to earth. He didn't want to let go of her love and embrace, but she finally convinced him you two are the best parents and will give him all the love and strength he will need for his time on earth; just as you did for Chloe! I love you guys and think of you often! Sending you our love!
 
He is so darling- and I too love the bewildered face! I agree, Chloe mush have had some last minute coaching to do :) He us so adorable- congrats to all of you!
 
What a handsome little fella! Good work all around. So, truly, he and Maxwell are almost EXACTLY 24-hours apart since Max was born at 8:46 the following morning also via c-section and also 19 1/2 inches long. But Henry is the heavy weight since Max was only 7 lbs 5 oz. What fun it will be to have them meet! I wonder if they raced to the edge of Heaven and then drew straws to see who'd come first?
 
We are so excited to have Henry in the family. I loved the pictures and can't wait for the morning to show the kids. We are so excited for you and happy that he finally arrived.
 
He is beautiful!! I love his bewildered face!!! I want to give him a big phatty hug and kiss, would you mind doing that for me? :)
 
what an awesomely written story, Katrina, and great pictures of Henry the Bewildered. Nice to see his eyes open. Love you all!
 
Yay! Loved reading about Henry's arrival. I'm so excited for your family. You did good! What a handsome little guy and his bewildered face made me laugh! Miss you.
 
He is adorable! I am so sorry you had to have a c-section after all that. I know how much you wanted the vbac. I hope to see and/or talk to you soon my friend!
 
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
Congratulations!!! He's SO adorable. I loved reading this and look forward to meeting him!
 
What a great birth story! He definitely seems worth the wait. I can't wait to meet him and hold him and hug him and kiss him and..
 
He is so deliciously adorable!!! We are so happy for your whole family! Thanks for posting the picts :):) Hugs and kisses to the little man! the kids are blowing kisses from Tacoma....
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]