Friday, November 26, 2010

 

A Thankful Thanksgiving


Happy Day-after Thanksgiving! I was going to post on the day, but somehow time got away from me. But what a wonderful day! I am so glad for this time of year, that puts life into perspective and helps me see my blessings through my trials. Yesterday Ethan and I discussed the things we are especially grateful for this year and found that we had almost an identical list.

A supportive and loving family
Fantastic friends
A comfortable home with food, heat, electricity
Our beautiful daughter Chloe and those 15 months we had with her
Our little boy on the way (yet to be named)
The restored gospel of Jesus Christ
Opportunities for education
The safety and freedoms this country provides

Also, while I was cleaning up from our Thanksgiving Feast, I was reminded how grateful I am for a dishwasher. Really, I could go on and on with my feelings of gratitude, but my blog isn't where I should be expressing that gratitude the most. It should be to my friends, family, and Father in Heaven.

I don't feel like it's coincidental that Thanksgiving falls just one month before our Christmas celebrations. For me, Thanksgiving redirects my thoughts and priorities from what matters little to what matters most. Instead of obsessing over irritations for some minor offence or inconvenience, this season of thanks helps me focus on what I have been blessed with and the loved ones in my life who love me back. What a gift to ourselves and those we love, to let our frustrations fall by the wayside, making room in our hearts for joy, peace, and gratitude to reside.

Thanksgiving, to me, is the best preparation to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ. Thanks to Him, I am able to fully enjoy faith, hope, peace.

So Happy Thanksgiving Season to all! I hope it was a wonderful day for all of you, as it was for us.

Comments:
Thank you for this post! I am so grateful for your friendship and to be apart of your life! You and Ethan are so freakin' awesome!! I love you guys! Cant wait to see the new little guy!! YAY!!
 
I am glad you had a wonderful Thanksgiving...we really missed having your guys around, but we are excited to see you in just a few weeks.
 
Kat I liked your post about how we should be thankful. Too often we have a feeling of entitlement and forget everything we have, including life, comes from Heavenly Father.

P.S. I added your blog to my blog minifeed! :)

Chris Shumate Blog
 
A beautiful post! Love your thoughts and the way you articulate them. Have a wonderful Christmas!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]